- This event has passed.
Training of Trainers in Peacebuilding & Conflict Transformation Course; 12th to 16th August 2019, Nairobi, Kenya
August 12 @ 8:00 am - August 16 @ 5:00 pm
This training will be conducted in Nairobi, Kenya from 12th to 16th August 2019 for 15-20 peacebuilding practitioners who are seeking to expand and refine their knowledge and skills on how to design and facilitate trainings in conflict contexts.
The training is divided into two parts with part one focusing on building competencies in the peacebuilding practice and part two focusing on competencies of a trainer.
At the end of the five days, participants are expected to have gained the most up-to-date knowledge and skills in peacebuilding relevant to African contexts and to be better placed with fundamental skills in conducting trainings in various contexts.
Core thematic areas
Part One (1.5 days):
1. Conflict analysis
2. Theories of peace
3. Strategies of Peacebuilding Interventions
1. Fundamentals in Adult learning
2. Exploring the role of a facilitator/trainer in dynamic contexts
3. Designing a training curriculum
4. Facilitation skills and techniques
5. Evaluating a training programme
Objectives of the training
1. Deepen participants’ understanding of conflict, peace, conflict analysis and theories of peace.
2. Enhance participants’ knowledge of peacebuilding strategies relevant to their contexts
3. Increase participants’ knowledge and skills on how to design, facilitate and evaluate peacebuilding trainings.
Training/ Learning Methodology and Approach
This intensive training will utilize Adult Learning methodology, drawing from Paulo Freire and others. Participants will be required to fully contribute from their knowledge and reflections in peace, development, human rights, gender rights and humanitarian work, amongst other fields.
The learning will be experiential and will engage participants in individual tasks, group tasks, case studies, mini-lectures and role-plays and simulations. The practical elements are designed to help the participants synthesize the learning and make it relevant to their contexts.
Participants will also have the opportunity to design and do ‘actual training’ facilitation.
Lead facilitator – Dr. Babu Ayindo
Dr. Babu Ayindo has over two decades of experience as a storyteller, teacher, facilitator, researcher and writer. He has taught short courses on arts-based approaches to peacebuilding in seven peacebuilding institutes in Africa, Asia, the Pacific, and North America. He holds a B.Ed. from Kenyatta University (Nairobi, Kenya) and M.A in Peace and Conflict Studies from Eastern Mennonite University (Virginia, USA). His PhD from the University of Otago –New Zealand is on Arts, Peacebuilding and Decolonization.
Some of his publications include:
- Co-authoring When You Are the Peacebuilder (published by United States Institute of Peace, 2001);
- “Arts Approaches to Peace: Playing Our Way to Transcendence “published in Barry Hart (ed)
- Peacebuilding in Traumatized Societies (University of America Press, Inc.,2008);
- “Trauma Awareness and Healing in the Somali Cluster: A Report on the Status of Achievements, Lessons and Outcomes” (published by Pact, 2010);
- Mpatanishi: A Handbook for Community Based Mediators (published in 2010 by PeaceNet Kenya);
- In Search of Healers (published by the Coalition of Peace in Africa in 2011).
For more information on the course, download the training prospectus here
To apply for the course, download the training application form here