- This event has passed.
Gendering Human Security, Peacebuilding & Conflict Transformation Course; 31st Oct to 4th November 2022, Nairobi & also on Zoom
October 31 @ 8:00 am - November 4 @ 5:00 pm UTC+3
In the period 31st October to 4th November 2022, COPA will offer the Gendering Human Security, Peacebuilding & Conflict Transformation Course. The training will be held both in person in Nairobi, Kenya and online via Zoom.
This training is ideal for;
- Practitioners who are interested in deepening their understanding of gender and violence prevention in post-conflict transitions,
- Practitioners interested in getting a deeper analysis of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Violence Against Women (CEDAW) and how it promotes gender equity and women human rights;
- Practitioners who would like to explore Human Security as a tool that can contribute to the achievement of gender equity and promotion of sustainable peace
- Practitioners who are keen to explore the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 (UNSCR 1325) and hits relevance to issues of Women, Peace and Security in conflict and post conflict settings.
- Practitioners with responsibilities of integrating gender mainstreaming in their programming
The Course Content
- Understanding violence against women: Violence is one way of dealing with conflicts (Galtung (1990, 1996) and is represented in three separate types distinguished as physical, structural or cultural. Among the issues to be looked at in the training will be the escalation of violence against women in situations of violent conflicts and tragic development in which women are targeted in all forms of Gender Based Violence (GBV).
- Linking Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), Human Security and Peacebuilding: Current international standards addressing GBV in conflict and post conflict areas draw upon a wide array of provisions contained in a variety of human rights instruments that safeguard women and girls. The course will help participants identify relevant provisions in selected CEDAW articles which they can advance towards the prevention of sexual violence against women in situations of conflict.
- Gendering Conflict transformation around UNSCRs: In reference to grassroots based cases studies benefiting indirectly and directly from the United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325 (2000) and 1820 (2008), the participants will look at what these resolutions are, their various provisions, relation to women in conflict areas, and how to incorporate them in ongoing peacebuilding and reconstruction work within the participants contexts.
- Human security paradigm and its relevance to women violence prevention: Human security paradigm perceives the ordinary citizen including women as a purpose and not as a means to security. The training will identify and emphasize the considerations for human security as integrated approach to achieving gender equality, sustainable conflict transformation and peacebuilding.
- Gender Mainstreaming in peacebuilding: Women continue to be underrepresented in peacebuilding processes, be it in conflict prevention, management or post conflict reconstruction, yet research shows that where women engage in the above, violence often declines and it becomes easier to build more sustainable peace. The session will explore the various strategies that programmes/organizations can put in place to ensure effective participation and contribution of women in the processes.
How to Apply
Kindly send in your filled application form by email. All received applications will be acknowledged and if successful a corresponding letter of admission and other necessary documentations will be sent to the applicant. Please send your completed application to any of the following emails:
Option 1: US$ 450 (covers online tuition, online resource materials and an e-certificate of participation)
Option 2: US$800 (covers tuition, resource materials, conference package and a certificate of participation)
Option 3: $1300 (covers full board accommodation at Convent International Hotel, Tuition & Certificate of participation)
Application Documents links